Thursday, December 01, 2005

Holiday Season 2005

Holiday Season


It is the 1st day in December and very close to the 22nd when Cat and I can go home for a few weeks.  The best thing is that I get to see the friends and family I haven’t seen in a year.  But alas, I have to start writing my proposal for my doctoral qualifying exam.  It’s the test given at the end of our 2nd year to test our knowledge and aptitude in our particular fields so we may either continue the research or pursue other interests.  Upon the end of the exam I think we’re given our master’s or walking papers.  

Right now I’ve started a few projects and I’m making some progress.  I can’t leave yet because I want to see the end of the stories that are beginning to unfold.  I’m not failing.  When I enter the exam, I’ll have some sort of T-shirt that says “I make stuff up.” And I hope to be able to say, “Victor is Mine,” to quote a favorite cartoon character of mine, Stewie Griffin.  I’ll own this exam.

I’ll be glad to get out of the Bronx for a bit but have to read, write, and think up all the aims my research project is trying to complete.  That’s fine.  

I want to see all my friends I haven’t seen in my favorite haunts like Pyramid Brewery, Chilli’s, and In and Out.  You know the places not found in New York.  

22 days and counting until the soil I consider home is under my feet.    

1 comment:

Rosella said...

I like "Victor is Mine" the best. Love the homo-erotic double meanings. Well, it's not really erotic, but you get the drift.