Friday, November 18, 2005

The grass will always greener on the other side.

I wrote this blog while listening to Ice Cube.

Sometimes I think it’s hard to play the hand that life dealt. At times the grass is greener elsewhere but you have no choice to play the cards you have. Sorry for the damn clichés.
I’ll digress for a second. I hate that damn cliché used by Donald Trump in The Apprentice. “Think outside of the box.” Every fucking professor at Einstein and at a recent NYU conference used that shit.

Shit, my pimp ass wouldn’t be in grad school if I didn’t have the potential to do that. Shut the fuck up with that shit.

But in short, I thought I would like to occupy someone else’s life in terms of my career. Fuck….maybe I could have read and wrote more as a kid instead of playing sports or watching TV. If I did this then, perhaps I’d be better prepared for writing and amount of reading in grad school. I shouldn’t have partied so much in college. I should have done this and that….quit bitching, right?

As it stands the skills that I have now will have to do so I can get thru grad school and find a postdoctoral position which ultimately leads to finding a job. I just have to work on the weaker of my skills in the arsenal. I just have to remind myself that I can only get better as I progress in grad school.

1 comment:

Rosella said...

Yeah, I guess "quit bitching" would be a less subtle way to put it. After all, I think longing for what can't be only serves as a distraction from reality, namely the work you must put in to improve yourself. But I'm sure everything will work out in the end for you, especially if you really want this PhD. As yet another cliche goes, whatever doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.