Friday, May 26, 2006

qualifying exam

I’m stressing out about this huge life altering exam known as the qualifying exam.  It’s the grad student equivalent to the USMLE for MDs.  It’s composed of a written proposal in the format of NIH grant and presentation/examination from power point.  I need to speak for 15 minutes or less about 3 AIMS I would like to work towards for my thesis.  I’ve gotten my time down to 19 minutes and still stutter a bit.  I know my stuff I think; I’ll just say “I don’t know” when I don’t know something but wont’ bull shit.  They hate bull shitters.  I bull shit and overembellish.  

The actual test date is June 6th and I reading like a madman trying to cram shit I should have remembered from biochemistry, genetics, gene expression, and cellular biology.  I don’t remember shit from protein trafficking from the Golgi apparatus to the ER; I don’t remember that shit.  Ask me shit about cancer or cell cycle regulation.

I’m a bit worried about not passing because if I fail I get one more shot next year.  I hated playing “Do or Die” in basketball as a kid because I ran many laps or did more push ups than I care to remember.  If I don’t pass, I’m outta here.  I’ll be in the same place I started at two years ago when I started.  Hell NO!  

If I pass I have two more classes to take in order to finish my class requirements for my department and I’ll have my second master’s. I can work without any shit hanging over my head I have to do.  I don’t care for another MS just a PhD so I can get a nice teaching job with some basic research package.  That’ll be nice.

My therapist said writing would be a good way to vent my feelings and lower my blood pressure.  I told her sex does the same thing…..    

3 comments:

Rosella said...

Hey Fred, good luck with your quals. It sounds like a stressful time for you, but I'm sure you'll get through it. It's good you have Cathy...I'm sure she can help you in ways that your therapist can't. ;-)

Rosella said...

By the way, once you pass your quals, does that mean that you and Cathy will start planning your wedding?

cat said...

we started discussing about our wedding. We have talked about how much money we would spend and what kind of food we would have. Things are going along as plan. We just need a church and a recepition hall and a date.heheh ;)