Sunday, July 16, 2006

Civil Ceremony

You know, I love family parties cuz I've learned that family is important but at times I hate addressing our situation
of living in sin with Cathy. I think this is a good situation for both of us. We get to do some growing up and career building. We thought of getting married sooner in a civil ceremony and doing the big thing afterwards. I know this is Cathy's big day and she wants it. I want her to have the wedding she's always wanted. It's nice to have some of the attention for yourself. Practical me knows that money for a house is something we just need to save for.

If we do this, civil ceremony, then it would be immediate family ONLY as our parents state, but that's no fun. I would like to have friends and other family around to be part of it somehow. Maybe just get married in Vegas and whomever can make it will go.

Cathy's mom wants us to get married at St. Anne's and have the reception in the hall next door.
Cathy thinks in that case we should elope.

I joke that we can get married and have the reception at Hometown Buffet. We can have the money dance next to the soft serve machine.

Fuck....why do things have to so complicated? We have to make choices and sacrifices for things.

2 comments:

Rosella said...

Weddings are complicated because money is the leverage families use to carry out their vision of their ideal wedding (i.e., if they're paying, then they will have some control over the wedding details). If it doesn't coincide with your vision, then that's when things get messy. It's all about compromise. Just remember not to compromise too much. Be assertive (something I failed to be in some aspects of my own wedding). But if you do compromise too much, and it's too late to change your mind, then at least it's just one day of your life.

23r0 1m@g1n@t10n said...

What's really fun is when people start to add relatives that you've never heard of to your guest list. On the plus side, it makes the money dance that much bigger. Ours seemed to go on forever. Was very nice.

I look at it that Jane and I were "Husband and Wife" long before our wedding. The Ceremony was our chance to stand up before relatives and declare our commitment to each other. (We should have been "committed" for having our wedding outdoors on the hottest day ever on the face of the earth.)

What I am trying to say is, your wedding should be what you guys want, but it also has to sorta be for your guests, otherwise everybody would be married by an Elvis Impersonator on the strip in Vegas. (Jane and I would be down for that as well, if that's what you decide to do. Heck, if you really want, I can do a civil ceremony at our house. Jetblue has flights from JFK to Columbus for $90 each way.)