Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Self Esteem

Why is it in our culture self-esteem is intercalated with success we have? We’re conditioned to play hard in a plastic and faux wood trophy in every conceivable tournament or competition. Kids don’t say that they want to be vice president of the United States. Who settles for second place? So I guess that’s where the mindset comes from…our society. Since the last few experiments have not worked I’m falling deeper and deeper into frustration. My self esteem rides on this roller coaster called grad school.

I can’t stand it but it’s something I have to deal with….I know I see instant success in many of the activities I pursue like video games; just replay the level and try something new which only takes minutes but my experiments take days. It’s fine so just keep working.

Some days it almost feels I would have gotten the same amount of work done staying at home in bed.

1 comment:

Rosella said...

I used to feel the same way doing pure math problems. And that was just homework that had no real meaning in the outside world, and not research that could actually be useful to society. Anyway, I hope that your experiments are going more smoothly now.